Visit the Gardens
Our beautiful gardens offer an escape from Charlotte’s busy, urban lifestyle, as well as a look at Charlotte history from times past. Nestled in the heart of the Myers Park neighborhood, Wing Haven is located between Selwyn Avenue and Westfield Road. We are open to the public for self-guided tours Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Private, group tours for adults and for children are also available Monday through Friday. Tour information and online booking provided below.
The gardens will be closed November 22nd, 12 - 5 pm and all day November 23rd.
The gardens will be open on Friday and Saturday, November 24th and 25th.
The gardens are open during regular hours for the December holiday season: Wednesday - Saturday, Dec 20th-23rd and Dec. 27th-30th.
(Wednesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm)
- Free admission for members
- $10 admission for adults (and children over 10 years old)
- Ages 10 and under are free
- Admission allows access to both Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary, as well as The Elizabeth Lawrence House & Garden
- Welcoming hostess will provide an overview of the property and a self-guided map of both Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary and The Elizabeth House & Garden
- We offer a small children’s garden for hands-on exploration including spades for digging, rain barrel and watering cans for watering plants in the children’s garden, sensory and butterfly gardens.
As you plan your visit, please be advised and help us protect and maintain our gardens for all of our visitors by observing the following:
- Be mindful of slick or uneven pathways
- Stay on designated paths. Do not walk in mulched or planted garden beds
- Keep children by your side
- Leave flowers and plants for everyone to enjoy. Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits or plant labels
- Do not touch water features or sun dials
- Silence and limit mobile phone use
- Our gardens are tobacco-free
- No pets
Please note: at Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary, some areas are currently undergoing rehabilitation.
Wing Haven’s parking lot is conveniently located between both gardens at our Foundation Office, 260 Ridgewood Avenue. In consideration of our neighbors, we encourage visitors to park in the parking lot. If spots are not available, please park on the side of the street closest to Wing Haven. Handicap parking is available in front of the Foundation Office at 260 Ridgewood Avenue.
Plan your meeting or event at Wing Haven by visiting our Venue page.
In addition to the self-guided tour included as admission during our open hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm), we offer docent-led tours for both adults and children, Monday through Friday, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Discover the beauty of Wing Haven with a private, guided tour by one of our docents. First visit Eddie and Elizabeth Clarkson's historic home, which was built in 1927, and has been preserved with its original design and décor. Next, tour the gardens while hearing the Clarkson's stories and admiring their horticulture skills and numerous statues, plaques, and fountains. Convene with the birds and other wildlife in this suburban sanctuary.
- Tours are available Monday through Friday, 9:30 am through 5:00 pm. When purchasing online, date/time subject to change based on availability of our docents.
- Please reserve at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Tours are about 3 hours in duration with the last tour beginning at 2:30 pm.
- These tours are suggested for parties of 5 or larger.
- Cost is $15/person, ages 11 and up. Please enter the total number of people in "quantity" below.
Discover the treasures of Wing Haven with an overview of the garden as a bird habitat, short story and Clarkson history, private garden stroll, and pink lemonade! Children each bring home a bag of Wing Haven birdseed. All groups are invited to romp in the hands-on children's garden prior to or following the 90-minute tour experience (picnic lunches are permitted).
- Offered to school groups, homeschoolers, scout groups, church groups, etc. (minimum of 5 children)
- Ages preschool through 12th grade
- Tours are available Monday through Friday, 9:30 am through 5:00 pm
- Tours are 90 minutes in duration with the last tour beginning at 3:30 pm.
- All groups have the option to extend their visit beyond the tour to romp in the children’s garden to explore and enjoy a picnic lunch or snack.
- Please reserve at least 2 weeks in advance.
- The cost is $5/child; adult chaperones are free. Please enter the total number of children in "quantity" below.
If you do not wish to pay for the children's tour online, and prefer another form of payment, please complete the "Children's Tour Request" form below:
Cancellation & Refund Policy: Tour registrant may cancel within 48 hours of event by calling 704.331.0664 to receive a full refund. Should Wing Haven need to cancel a tour due to inclement weather determined by garden staff and for the safety of our guests we will work with you to reschedule your tour or a full refund will be available.