Visit the Gardens
Our beautiful gardens offer an escape from Charlotte’s busy, urban lifestyle, as well as a look at Charlotte history from times past. Nestled in the heart of the Myers Park neighborhood, Wing Haven is located between Selwyn Avenue and Westfield Road. We are open to the public for self-guided tours Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. Private, group tours for adults and for children are also available Monday through Friday. Tour information and online booking provided below.
(Wednesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm)
- Free admission for members
- $10 admission for adults (and children over 10 years old)
- Ages 10 and under are free
- Admission allows access to both Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary, as well as The Elizabeth Lawrence House & Garden
- Welcoming hostess will provide an overview of the property and a self-guided map of both Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary and The Elizabeth House & Garden
- We offer a small children’s garden for hands-on exploration including spades for digging, rain barrel and watering cans for watering plants in the children’s garden, sensory and butterfly gardens. The Children’s Garden at Wing Haven is temporarily closed. Pardon our mess as we grow this space to better serve the community!
As you plan your visit, please be advised and help us protect and maintain our gardens for all of our visitors by observing the following:
- Be mindful of slick or uneven pathways
- Stay on designated paths. Do not walk in mulched or planted garden beds
- Keep children by your side
- Leave flowers and plants for everyone to enjoy. Do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits or plant labels
- Do not touch water features or sun dials
- Silence and limit mobile phone use
- Our gardens are tobacco-free
- No pets
Please note: at Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary, some areas are currently undergoing rehabilitation.
Wing Haven’s parking lot is conveniently located between both gardens at our Foundation Office, 260 Ridgewood Avenue. In consideration of our neighbors, we encourage visitors to park in the parking lot. If spots are not available, please park on the side of the street closest to Wing Haven. Handicap parking is available in front of the Foundation Office at 260 Ridgewood Avenue.
Plan your meeting or event at Wing Haven by visiting our Venue page.
In addition to the self-guided tour included as admission during our open hours (Wednesday - Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm), we offer docent-led tours for both adults and children, Monday through Friday, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Discover the beauty of Wing Haven's historic properties with a private, guided tour by one of our docents. You'll start with Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary, the home and garden of Eddie and Elizabeth Clarkson. The Clarkson home was built in 1927 and is preserved with its original design and décor. You'll tour the garden while hearing about the Clarksons and how their horticultural prowess and love of songbirds and wildlife grew this beautiful peaceful refuge of just over three acres.
Next, you'll go just ten houses down the street to tour the Elizabeth Lawrence House & Garden. You'll see the "small city lot" (just over one-third acre) garden of the noted horticulturist, landscape architect and internationally celebrated garden writer, and learn about how Elizabeth Lawrence's vast knowledge and love of plants created this unique "living laboratory" that offers something blooming in every season.
- Tours are available Monday through Friday, 9:30 am through 5:00 pm. When purchasing online, date/time subject to change based on availability of our docents.
- Please reserve at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Tours are about 3 hours in duration with the last tour beginning at 2:30 pm.
- These tours are suggested for parties of 5 or larger.
- Cost is $15/person, ages 11 and up. Please enter the total number of people in "quantity" below.
Discover the treasures of Wing Haven Garden & Bird Sanctuary with an overview of the garden as a bird habitat, short story and Clarkson history, private garden stroll, and pink lemonade! Children each bring home a bag of Wing Haven birdseed. All groups are invited to romp in the hands-on children's garden prior to or following the 90-minute tour experience (picnic lunches are permitted). Tours are available, but the Children's Garden is temporarily closed until September 2018.
- Offered to school groups, homeschoolers, scout groups, church groups, etc. (minimum of 5 children)
- Ages preschool through 12th grade
- Tours are available Monday through Friday, 9:30 am through 5:00 pm
- Tours are 90 minutes in duration with the last tour beginning at 3:30 pm.
- All groups have the option to extend their visit beyond the tour to romp in the children’s garden, explore and enjoy a picnic lunch or snack.
- Please reserve at least 2 weeks in advance.
- The cost is $5/child; adult chaperones are free. Please enter the total number of children in "quantity" below.
If you do not wish to pay for the children's tour online, and prefer another form of payment, please complete the "Children's Tour Request" form below:
Cancellation & Refund Policy: Tour registrant may cancel within 48 hours of event by calling 704.331.0664 to receive a full refund. Should Wing Haven need to cancel a tour due to inclement weather determined by garden staff and for the safety of our guests we will work with you to reschedule your tour or a full refund will be available.